Friday, September 10, 2010

The Emotional Rollercoaster Called P-A-R-E-N-T-H-O-O-D

Today I had one of those days that reminded me of the speech about the roller coaster from the movie Parenthood. (Side note: I love the new TV show version of Parenthood. This clip alone should make anyone a fan.) H who had seemed to adjust swimmingly to her new school was clingy and teary and told me she didn't like school, missed her friends and wanted to stay with me. She informed me that the new kids "smelled funny and yelled too much." I realize that this meltdown was inevitable given that she'd spent the majority of her very young life with the same kids and in the same school and it would have been unnatural NOT to feel a sense of loss. Still, it's hard seeing your child in emotional pain especially when it's out of character for her. She was still crying when I removed her kung-fu grip from my legs and handed her off to her teacher. I peaked through the narrow window into the classroom and could see the big, fat tears still streaming down her cheeks. The lump in my throat was compounded by the fact that I had the day and off and though I had several errands to run and child-unfriendly appointments to attend, the working mother guilt (WMG) made me feel like a deserter. I went to the gym to try and sweat the WMG away and though it subsided, it didn't disappear. I called the school and left a message for an H update. Later, while running one of my errands; a trip to the newly renovated Safeway; I received a message from the school that H was fine and back to her old self. Then, I won a $25 gift card to Safeway.  When I picked the munchkin up, she told me about the fun she had at school after she stopped crying.  Why do I have a feeling that I'm going to have a tougher time with HER future broken hearts, mean girl encounters and other mental boo-boos than she is? I guess it's time for me to grab onto a metaphorical safety bar because I think this growing up thing is going to be a bumpy ride.

2 comments:

  1. You're fantastic. I had the exact same feelings today when I dropped J off for his first day of preschool. I sobbed when I left, but when I went to get him, he told me he didn't want to go home and would rather stay at school! I know I'm going to have a much harder time coping than he is!!! xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad he enjoyed school:) You'll get past it.....until he goes to kindergarten. Can't even imagine how emotional that will be for us.

    ReplyDelete