Friday, December 12, 2014

My Bad Romance with Snyder's of Hanover Buffalo Wing Pretzel Pieces

It occurred to me this week that I am currently in an bad relationship with Snyder's of Hanover Hot Buffalo Wing Pretzel Pieces.

I saw them for the first time across a semi-crowded room at a party last Sunday. I knew they weren't good for me because of my previous experience with pretzel pieces of their kind, yet I was intrigued. I was intensely drawn to their attractive packaging, promise that they were "bursting with flavor," and unique name that made them seem different from all of the other pretzel pieces on the market.

I told myself that I'd  have just a few at first, essentially that we'd just be friends. Although I know I have boundary issues with portion control, I thought that this time, I'd be running the relationship, not the pretzels.

Alas, this has not been the case. That Sunday, I gorged on handfuls of them.  As promised they DO taste just like real buffalo wing sauce. They ARE bursting with flavor! I was at a cookie party so I told myself that this was a "healthier" option than the other food items in the room. Instead I just traded one food vice for another equally dangerous one.

After my bad lapse in judgement, I told myself I was done with Snyder's of Hanover Hot Buffalo Wing Pretzel Pieces. Not only could we NOT be in a relationship but we couldn't be friends either. Their charm was too strong against my weak willpower.

You all know how the story goes, though. On Wednesday at work, I started fantasizing about them. They were right next door at the newly opened Harris Teeter. I made excuses about why it was okay if we saw each other again. I had a healthy lunch. I'd been good with my eating for several days. I could totally stick to one portion.

I went over to Harris Teeter and bought them. Yes, I felt guilty but not guilty enough to stop myself from buying them. I told myself "If loving you is wrong, why does it feel so right, Pretzel Pieces?"

At least four portions later, I regretted my choice. My mouth was dry. My stomach hurt. I'm pretty sure I actually felt myself gain two pounds. They made me feel terrible about myself both mentally and physically just like they had in the past. 

I've once again decided to break up with them. There are a few left in the a bag at work and I'm determined to throw them out. I will avoid their associated aisle at the grocery store and unfriend / unfollow them on all social media platforms. (Sorry, got confused about that last one.)

I'm telling my story publicly so that others can learn from my bad romance and hopefully not make the same mistakes I did.

Thanks for listening and if you see Snyder's of Hanover Hot Buffalo Wing Pretzel Pieces in the grocery store aisle, back away quickly.

My partner in a bad romance 









No comments:

Post a Comment