I've been told I should blog for quite some time now. I've always cracked myself up with my random musings and apparently, others enjoy them too or so I've been told both in real life and on Facebook. (On a side note, what did oversharers do before Facebook? How did they (I refuse to say we - denial or am I really not one of them - talk amongst yourselves) get their instant feedback fix before the "like" or "comment" button existed? These are questions I ponder when I should be paying bills or sleeping.)
Now regarding the title of my blog, one of my all time favorite books as a child was called From the Mixed Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler. You can read more about it here but basically, it's about a girl from CT who decides to run away from home because she doesn't feel appreciated and she hides out along with her younger brother at the Metropolitan Museum of Art and stumbles upon a potential mystery.
I saw a lot of similarities between myself and Claudia, the protagonist. I was around her age when I first read it. I was from CT and had a younger brother. As an overly dramatic kid, I always harbored secret fantasies about running away from home and living one of the adventures in this and other books. My life, I felt, was super dull and I too didn't feel appreciated.
As I've grown and have experienced my own adventures (motherhood, a career, the loss of a parent, love) I've come to realize that life is a lot more complicated than I understood it to be when I was 11. There are still times that I want to run away - and I'm sure others with tantrum throwing 3-year-olds would concur. But not knowing what will come next in this life is a mixed up crazy journey - sometimes dull, sometimes terrifying and often hilarious - and it's one that I'm willing to experience head on - no stay at The Met necessary.
I'm excited to share my observations and thoughts on it all here.
I'm so glad you've started this blog, Laura. I love reading your stuff! Looking forward to the next post. Susan
ReplyDeleteYAY!! We, your fans, have been waiting for-ev-er for this day! Glad it is finally here! :)
ReplyDeleteBravo on a well written and funny blog. I'll be checking in often on your latest musings!
ReplyDelete