Most nights, I feel like my schedule is on a metaphorical wash/rinse/repeat cycle. There’s not a lot of variety to it (especially during the week) or a lot of adult interaction outside of my work folks and my husband. While my co-workers and spouse are great company, I do not feel whole without the occasional nights out with my girlfriends. Those girls in high school who dropped their friends as soon as they got a boyfriend? Never understood them. Those spouses who share every moment together and even share an email address? Totally baffle me. Those parents who make pronouncements about how they live and breathe only for their children? They will be sorely disappointed when those same adoring kids become teenagers….
We women NEED time with our friends because they:
• Remind us that we are not solely defined by our roles as spouses, mothers, and co-workers; we are also story tellers, comedians, confidants, and so much more
• Help us realize we are not the only ones whose husband (fill in annoying habit) or whose kid (fill in embarrassing public comment) or whose supervisor (fill in frustrating action or non-action) and who sometimes feels like a failure at everything
• Laugh with us until margaritas spurt out of our noses thereby making us forget all of the above even if just for a few hours
• Remind us of our former (and current) babelicious qualities which often go hidden under our typical mom uniforms of khakis and cardigans and yoga pants and t-shirts
![]() |
| Women need recess, too. |
None of this makes us bad people (or spouses or parents) because we want to maintain these friendships by going out to a fun, frivolous movie (see below) or meeting for drinks or taking yoga or whatever activity fulfills us, without our families. This time together allows us to tap into a part of us that is, out of necessity, typically subdued or altered in some way so that we can meet all of the requirements for our “regular” roles. I’m not saying that I put on an act when I parent or work but there’s definitely a filter on. Children need recess to decompress from the structure of school. We women and mothers in particular need to have the occasional girls’ night out to decompress from our very structured lives.
I am ridiculously excited for an upcoming night out with friends to see Magic Mike (aka the Channing Tatum stripper movie) and then go to dinner and drinks. One friend rolled her eyes at the subject matter but I am not ashamed to admit that this movie looks like it will be awesome on so many levels.
As I explained to this friend:
• This movie is artful. There are a number of SCULPTED abs involved. I believe Rodin would approve
• The reviews so far are very good which really is just icing on the beefcake
• The movie is directed by the acclaimed auteur Steven Soderbergh who made Traffic, Ocean's 11, and....oh really, who cares? It involves looking at Channing Tatum, Matt Bomer and Matthew McConaughey. Enough said.
It’s the perfect girls’ night out movie and activity with plenty of opportunities for us women to let loose. And potentially spurt some of those margaritas out of our noses from laughter….

Laura, have you been peeking in my window?? I need my girlfriends or else I'd have a meltdown everyday! Great thing about my hubby, he encourages me to get out of town for a girls weekend when he sees me stressing out. They are my lifeline, they help me balance. Best, Kyong
ReplyDeleteThanks, Kyong! I agree wholeheartedly and my hubby does the same for me. Hope you are well -Laura
ReplyDelete