Friday, November 9, 2012

How Laura Got Her Groove Back

Canyon Ranch, Lenox, MA

I had an amazing week and I almost missed out on it.


I went to the beautiful Canyon Ranch in Lenox, MA with a wonderful group of ladies for four days. Three weeks ago, I thought I was too anxious to go to a place meant for relaxation. The What Ifs had raised their ugly head again and nearly convinced me I'd be too scared to fly, too stressed to travel or relax, and too negative to want to be around fun, energizing people.

I have never been happier to prove myself wrong.


The fact is we all have issues. We all worry that we’re not good enough parents, friends, partners, and workers. Often we forget to congratulate ourselves for our successes, because we’re so consumed with focusing on and mourning our failures.


My friends helped convince me that this trip was something I needed. Something I owed myself. Yes, I’d miss one of Holly’s school events, but it would only be the first in the line of many. I decided to go.

I conquered numerous fears, which if you had asked me three weeks ago, I never would have attempted.


I hiked for 3 and 1/2 hours and climbed up a tower using some impossibly vertical stairs to witness a breathtaking view. (Fear of Heights? Bam. Conquered.)


I  sat down and ate a three course dinner by myself in the Ranch’s main restaurant. (Too Self Conscious to Eat Alone? Bam. Conquered.)

I participated in a dance class that involved three slightly complicated Hip Hop routines and survived my first ever spinning class. (Scared of Making a Fool of Myself in Front of Strangers Due to My Two Left Feet? Bam. Conquered.)

Not only did I actually enjoy these things that I once feared, the sense of accomplishment and pride that stirred inside me was unparalleled to anything I’d felt before.


In fact, my trip inspired me to create my own spin on the trusty serenity prayer.
 
Spirits who I mostly believe in, please grant me the confidence to say no when I really don't want to do something (and don't HAVE to do it and am not NOT doing it because I’m afraid), the courage to continue to try new things that are outside of my comfort zone, and the ability to make and act on decisions even when my confidence and courage wavers.

No comments:

Post a Comment