Hope you enjoy it.
Leaning
“Please don’t go, mama,”
My daughter said to me.“I love you and I want to play
Instead why must you leave?”
I know I made the right choice for me
To work full time for our familyI enjoy my work and the progress I’ve made
To advance in my career and earn what I get paid
But it’s hard sometimes to justify
Missing events as time flies byKids grow up so damn fast
Those precious moments they don’t last
Lean in they say, don’t hold back
Don’t let your career get off trackBut what if you want to be there at night
To tuck them in and turn out the light
Help them learn the social graces
Teach them to tie their shoe lacesGo on field trips and read to the class
Watch each and every soccer pass
But there never seems to be enough time
To be the parent you want, while meeting deadlines
Always connected to work email
Trying to shut down to no avail
Staying late and being top brass
That’s when I think, “Lean in, my ass.”
Chorus
Having it all, there is no such thing
Sometimes life's great, and sometimes it stings
The grass may seem greener on the other side
But each lawn has weeds, it can't be denied
Leaning in or back both come at a price
All we can do is try to be nice
To ourselves and to each other
It’s time we start championing mothers
“Please come to career day, mama,”
My daughter said to me.
"There will be doctors, lawyers and teachers
And you who’s just my mommy."
I know I made the right choice for me
To stay at home with my familyBut sometimes I miss the chaos and din
Of working in an office away from my kin
The rush I would get from closing a deal
And wearing stylish clothes that had real appealInstead I’m dressed in yoga gear
Though I haven’t worked out in over a year
My days are filled with laundry and art
Car pools and stickers and Kellogg’s pop tartsWiping little noses and squeezing out glue
Avoiding that dreaded question, what is it again that you do?
To witness their firsts and give them great care
But sometimes I feel like my life is on hold
Just biding my time until I get old
Wasting the money I spent on my degree
By staying at home with no focus on meBut there never seems to be enough time
For adult conversation or expanding my mind
Career fulfillment, has taken a pass
That's when I think, "Lean back, my ass.”
Chorus
Having it all, there is no
such thing
Sometimes life's great, and
sometimes it stingsThe grass may seem greener on the other side
But each lawn has weeds, it can't be denied
Leaning in or back both come at a price
All we can do is try to be nice
To ourselves and to each other
It’s time we start championing
mothers
No comments:
Post a Comment