Earlier this week, I heard author and NPR contributor, Marion
Winik read excerpts from and participate in a Q&A about her recent book, The
Baltimore Book of the Dead. In her book, Winik shares stories about important
people in her life, all of whom are no longer living. The pieces are short
and evocative. Her mother, who she calls The Alpha, passed away in 2008 – the same
year as my father.
Last week, would have been my dad’s 78th birthday
and on June 13, we mourn the 11th year of his passing. I was
inspired by Winik’s writing and by these milestone dates to write my own story
in the same vein about my dad.
The Giant-Hearted
Died 2008
“Marjorie’s version of “Summertime” is incredible enough for
her to perform it on Broadway and she could have - if anyone who had the power
to make it happen heard her.”
My dad. Always the optimist. Always the exaggerator.
Never mind that the song “Summertime” came from the opera
Porgy and Bess ─ an
African American folktale. My white, Jewish NYC-born and bred mom was so
talented, that she should have been on the biggest stage in the world singing
about living in a southern black housing project by the river, per my dad.
His adoration for people - especially my mom ─ and for descriptive adjectives
like incredible, fantastic, and mind-blowing, was legendary.
He also loved his children and his friends fiercely. His
cousin, Peter? “One of the most talented and best humans on the planet.” His dear
life-long friend, Pat? “The warmest, most special individual you’ll ever meet.”
As a teen and even as an adult, I responded to my dad’s many
accolades and superlatives both directed at me (Laura is an immensely talented writer and public
speaker!) and at others with epic eye rolling. My eye rolling was so frequent
and pervasive, I could have majored in it in college.
Instead of embracing his love of people and of positive, if overstated,
descriptors, I was embarrassed by him. I thought he was way too much. His
enthusiasm always seemed to be turned up to 11, while I was stuck on 6. Can’t
you tone it down a bit, I thought to myself?
Most everyone else, however, was drawn to him like a magnet.
How could they not be? There was no one like him – he was one-of-a-kind and
always himself in any and every situation.
Lying in his hospice bed, two weeks before he died, his once
rotund body shrunken by the effects of late-stage prostate cancer, he was in
legacy preservation mode – dictating to my mom everything he wanted my newly walking 1-year-old
daughter to know about him after he was gone.
He listed 39 diverse passions.
His personal advice included nuggets like “Remain loyal to
your goals, the truth, and people that you trust,” “Do not be afraid to say you
made a mistake,” and “Live, love, learn and leave a legacy. Make an impact on
the lives of others.”
There are some days when I could really use some of dad’s supersized
brand of love and praise and wish desperately that my daughter could have
experienced it, too.
And my response now would be eye-roll free.

No comments:
Post a Comment