Monday, January 3, 2011

Bring it On, 2011!

I ended 2010 overly excited about beating a 9-year-old girl and a 10-year-old boy at Just Dance 2 on New Year’s Eve. This was after they kicked my butt three times in a row, even at …..oh the embarrassment of this admission…a Madonna dance.  You know that you are living a high flying existence when you get so psyched about winning a video game dance off against two preteens that you yell out “Take that suckers! I am the queen.”  I should have my cool club membership revoked. Wait, what? I was never officially admitted to the cool club?  Whatever. That just means that their definition of cool differs from mine. At least that’s what my mom said.

After a decidedly mixed year in 2010 of highs (including a fantastic trip to Bermuda with my husband; the completion of a stellar video for work; and participating in my best friend’s wedding); and lows (not going to go into them all now – not enough time or ink), I’m looking forward to a much more positive, productive and prosperous (and evidently alliterative) 2011.

Here are a few things I want to accomplish in 2011:

I hope to find a job and/or develop a freelance career that challenges me, allows me to be creative and lets me help people address their communications needs while also fulfilling my desire to have more time and energy to devote to my family, friends and, oh yeah, myself.

I would like to teach H to begin to read. This is a lofty goal since she’ll only be 4 in March but she’s showing a lot of interest and has a great love for books so it may be an attainable one. I was an early reader and while I won’t pressure her to do so, I hope we make at least some progress in that area.

I want to finally get rid of the size 2 clothes that I wore for about a six month period back in 2001 and have been keeping “just in case” I get down to that size again. I take them out every so often when I clean out my closet and sort items to bring to Goodwill and then put them right back in there. Who am I really kidding? I need to face reality. I will not be a size 2 again in this lifetime and I’m okay with that even if my ego isn’t quite there yet.

I would like to learn how to become a better cook, be much more proactive and less reactive both professionally and personally, and to excel at video game dances (so that I never get beaten while busting a move to a Madonna song again!)

Here are the mysteries I’d like to solve in 2011:
·          How the heck has Ke$ha managed to become so huge? Ke$ha herself has said she thinks much of her popularity can be attributed to her fondness for glitter. Who knew that turning playground songs into trashy anthems and wearing sparkly makeup from Claire’s was all Top 40 radio was missing? Ke$ha apparently did.  I think there must be some sort of hidden hypnotic messages in her songs that make them addictive while at the same time making most of us feel the need to shower after listening to them.

      Where do lost socks go and why do they continuously disappear? This is a worldwide phenomenon that scientists still have yet to solve. I had this book as a kid which insisted it was the work of Gnasty Gnomes stealing one sock while we slept. I’m starting to believe there may be something to that theory.
  
      Why did the name Robert ever become popular? Robert is just an er and an o away from robot.  Super stiff.  The nickname Rob is the only name I can think of that’s also a felony. Robby and Bobby only work for the under 5 set and Bob is something you do for apples. Not a fan.   

      Why has Obama slid in two years from an almost god-like national hero to a guy seen as an elitist and a disappointment?  I like Obama. I want him to succeed. Maybe expectations of him after he won the election were way too high for anyone to live up to, but for someone who played the political game so well prior to the ’08 election, he seems to have really lost his mojo and his ability to present his accomplishments in an effective way. It took people outside of his administration to create this video to respond to his critics. As Dave Barry wryly noted in his 2010 year in review , the Obama administration’s tunnel vision-like focus on health care reform instead of on job creation was not exactly a wise career move. Here’s hoping that he can turn his image and reputation around before” Sarah Palin 2012” can become a reality (shudder).
     

That’s it for now. I need to start practicing my popping and locking……..

No comments:

Post a Comment