Wednesday, April 13, 2011

"Why" Girl

Holly, who recently turned four, has always been a very curious girl. When she was two she asked me why the leaves change colors and pondered that maybe somebody painted them. She's recently taken her questioning to a whole new level. Holly is constantly asking my husband and I the most random questions; some existential, some insightful and others absolutely ridiculous.
 
She and I had this recent exchange:
Holly: Why is grass called grass? Who named it that?
Me: I’m not sure but the name has been around a long, long time.
Holly: Maybe the dinosaurs named it.

Here’s a sample of some of her other recent queries straight from her mouth to the page:

“What is Lady Gaga’s favorite color?”

“Why do mice have long tails?”

“Did you leave your last work because it was yucky?”

 “Do you and Daddy have to be good for your work teachers like I have to listen to my teacher?”

“Why do bulls have ears AND horns?”

“Why are some farts soft?”

It’s so hard to keep a straight face when she puts these things out there but her deep sincerity stops me from cracking up.

To satisfy Holly’s voracious thirst for knowledge, I typically Google the answers for her if I don't know them - when applicable, that is. When not applicable, I completely make something up:)

Parenting isn’t always easy but it’s often pretty darn entertaining.

Holly, enjoying an after-rollerskating snow cone.

2 comments:

  1. Did you Google, "soft farts?" :) She is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, that one I left alone:)
    Yesterday she said to me in the car "Mom, I don't know who my husband is going to be!" I said, "This is true. When do you think you'll meet him?" She replied with certainty, "I think when I'm five." I asked her if he'll be older than her or younger. She said "I think younger." Then paused. "Or maybe he'll be 5 like me." I asked her when she thought the wedding will be. She replied exasperated, "Mom, not until I'm a grown up!" The kid should have her own tv show.

    ReplyDelete