I hadn’t paid any attention to the Royal Wedding in the weeks leading up to the nuptials. I started a new job a few weeks back and while I like celebrity gossip as much as the next girl, the wedding wasn’t on my pop culture radar; not like Michael Scott’s last day in The Office or flash mobs which I had to explain to my husband after the not-so-new phenomena appeared on recent episodes of both Glee and Modern Family and he was completely perplexed. He also asked me who “that girl” is referring to Katy Perry who recently lip synched her way through, I mean performed on American Idol. His radar does not include of-the-moment pop stars, dance crazes nor does it include knowing what jeggings are. This last one is probably a good thing. But I digress.
This morning, I turned on the Today show and watched, transfixed with my daughter as Will and Kate made their way by horse and carriage into Buckingham Palace. I had completely forgotten how much I love weddings, especially one with such an emotional back story. In fact, it hit me for the first time all the reasons why the public has been obsessed with this one; even though 99.9% of them will never meet William and Kate.
The Nostalgia Factor
First of all many of us, myself included, have memories of the wedding of Princess Diana and Prince Charles. I think I was 7 at the time. All I really remember is being struck in complete awe at the length of Di’s gown and the pomp and circumstance surrounding the event. I think especially for those of us who have lost a parent, it’s difficult not to look at William and not to think about how proud and happy his mother would have been to witness the event. The last time William and Harry were on such public display, they were at their mother’s funeral. It warms the heart to see these guys celebrating again after an earlier time of tragedy.
The Bride and Groom
I love the fact that they were friends and then dated for years before getting married. As someone who dated my husband for five years before walking down the aisle with him, I can relate to taking the time to make sure you truly enjoy being with the person you plan to spend your life with and learn firsthand what it means to spend time as a couple “in good times and in bad” before the wedding. During the first year or two in most relationships couples are typically so hot for each other and so concerned with not showing their partners their odd grooming habits or having them meet their weird relatives that they don’t really get to know each other - foibles and all. It’s nice to see that William and Kate have been able to navigate the transition from college to adulthood by growing together. And presumably, they’ve seen each others’ flattering and unflattering selves and stayed together in spite of witnessing those flaws.
The Fairy Tale
We all grew up with stories of princes and princesses and there is something super glamorous about a designer dress, gorgeous flowers and distinguished guests. Add in all of the historical traditions and adorable royal children that came into play here and the whole thing takes on a bit of a magical feeling. Though we’ve become a cynical society after watching too many “…and they lived happily ever after” weddings end in misery, hatred and utter betrayal, weddings still symbolize that hope we cling to that the couple getting married are destined for a bright and successful future together. A future filled with potential babies and vacations and wedded bliss. Besides, it is way more fun to fawn over the big day than on every day after that. You know, the days that include activities like paying bills, cleaning up baby barf and arguing about whose turn it is to take out the trash. Okay so maybe William and Kate will have slightly different reality from the rest of us, but I’m sure there will be some monotonous charity events they’ll need to attend and times Kate will get tired of watching yet another polo match.
I guess my point is that weddings, particularly this one, represent an optimistic new beginning. At a time when our weather is going crazy, soldiers are still dying overseas and the recession continues, it’s nice to focus on an admittedly frothy, joyful Royal Wedding.

No comments:
Post a Comment